View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Skip Barber Presents: F1 Cars at Road America

No doubt the brakes could be warmed quickly but to get any kind of feel for their limits and proper application is what would rapidly use up your laps.

A proper bead seat in an Indy Car costs something like $1,500 - $2,500 and is way more involved than a skippy seat. Even if they could make a simple insert for you there wouldn't be time. It's a good idea but the practical application wouldn't be time or cost effective.

Because of our time in Skippy and other race cars we all tend to think of this experience as a chance to fully explore the limits of an F1 car. I believe the design of these exercises is to let you come away saying, "Wow, I can't believe how fast it accelerated, how much grip it had and how fast it stopped!", without giving you enough time and space to really find the limits and get into trouble. Though it's a pretty safe bet some will.

It would be fun to see RB, or Jason, guys who drive race cars every day, take one of those cars out for four laps and report back.

Having said all this I'd love to do it but it's a very expensive highly monitored thrill ride. With limited resources I'll opt for a full race weekend instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Could you even get the carbon/carbon brakes hot enough in that time?

Geez, $3,400 for the day, why not drop another $100 or so for an insert? I'd be a great souvenir!