View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Mechanics Fund-ACT NOW

Okay, all you drivers out there, how many of you have been in or at your car just before going out and have waved your hand in the air to call a Skippy mechanic over to (a) adjust your pedals, (b) tighten your mirrors, (c) help you with some foam, (d) help tighten your belts, or (e) do some other thing for you just before you go out and qualify, race, or practice? Did any of them ever say, "I think you can do fine as is" and quickly go the other direction? Instead, how many of them ran over, carried whatever tools were needed, and hopped on the situation right away? Did they leave when they thought they were done, or did they wait until you said the situation was fine?

Last summer at Road America, I had a little interaction with a tire wall that left the front and rear wings on my car in need of repair. The mechanics had been there late the night before working on all of the cars that people had abused, and mine was in a mid-state of repair. I liked that car, and I was in the second group going out that morning. Seeing a mechanic in the repair area, I asked about the possibility of it being ready, and he stopped what he was doing and jumped on it right away. The car was ready for me. I was happy. And he did not ask me whether I was contributing to the mechanics fund. These guys treat everyone the same, which is to say that we all get first-rate service, notwithstanding how we individually treat them.

The mechanics are part of your team. Say thanks to them for what they do with a contribution to the mechanics fund. The next time that you wave your hand in the air while you are sitting on the grid, think about it.