View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: To Sportsman or Not To Sportsman

[quote=eleven]It seems that there is consensus to try this.
Below is my first draft at putting it in the rulebook. Red denotes changes. My expert mathmatician and Excel wizard, Dom, is going to create a file for us to easily plug someone in to do the computations.
Thoughts?
Todd

Thanks to Todd for being so responsive. Whatever the result of this exercise, all from TJR have had an opportunity to weigh in. Clarity will help us all and the emendations in blue below are intended to help at least me.

5.2.1 Class Types

Sportsman drivers will be moved up to the Championship class if their lap time is within 3% of the fastest Championship practice time, if their median lap time from their last 6 races is within 3% of the median fastest Championship lap time and/or at the discretion of the Race Series Managing Staff. As it reads, times will be assessed at the end of each Friday practice and the race groups formed for Saturday. At any weekend, a driver could be moved up to Championship and would remain there for the rest of the year. Seems a bit abrupt compared with the more gradual 6 race method that might be more predictable for those being moved.
All New Drivers will be placed in the Sportsman class at their first race weekend. "Most" New Drivers, rather than "All," would incorporate exceptional drivers who should start in Championship and not penalize them with Sportsman points in their Chanpionship bid.

5.2.2 Championship
Championship Drivers may not switch groups after the halfway mark of the season. Seems a slippery slope mechanism for folks to return from Championship to Sportsman.