View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: To Sportsman or Not To Sportsman

My intention is to move up to Champ after a full season last year in Sportsman.
  • I want to learn every weekend and get faster. Racing with the Champ guys seems like the best way to do this.
  • If you're not beating the fastest guys at the track, are you really "winning" in a Sportsman race?
  • I agree with Tom regarding the wrecks.
  • Champ guys don't seem to miss as many departure flights on Sunday afternoon.
There should be some mechanism to assure a full field for the Champ race. Someone smarter than me can decide how many cars makes up the optimum sized field. Here is an idea:
  • Build a full field of cars for the Champ race based on qualifying times. Goal for every driver each weekend would be to make the Champ race. No more declaring Champ v Sportsman at the beginning of the year.
  • Be sure that last place in the Champ race earns more points than first place in the 1st Sportsman race.
  • Scale the rest of the drivers on qualifying times as well and build the other races in the same fashion. Winner of the 2nd Sportsman race should not earn as many points as last place in the 1st Sportsman race.
Just my two cents.

If you don't want real competition, you can save alot of money and just run lapping days.

Kasey