View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010
Marketing Wonk
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

A message from Michael Culver about Skip Barber at Road America in 2010

While Michael is working on getting registered here, he asked me to post the following to address the situation (and the rumors) about what is going on with Road America this year and why we won't be racing there.

"Road America is one of our favorite race tracks and I know that all of you feel the same way… Its one of the world’s greatest. We have been running there since the early 80’s! Unfortunately in 2010, Skip Barber will not be taking the Summer race series there. Last fall we had requested July and August race weekends (weekends that we usually get as per long term usage agreement) and (prematurely as it turns out) put them on our schedule. In 2010 we wanted to start rebuilding our presence at Road America and we asked for approximately 38 days, approximately double the days we used in 2009. However, it turned out that Road America was unable to provide those dates this year as they had sold the days to other parties and the dates they ultimately offered us could not be fitted into our by then established race series schedule. So, we replaced these weekends with Road Atlanta (a Skippy favorite) and Grattan (a fun track our series has not been to since 2001 and many are excited to run at again!). We have also added Mid-Ohio to the schedule.

I have heard rumblings to the effect that “Skip isn’t going to Road America this year because they owe Road America money” but this is incorrect; Road America is fully paid. This is a scheduling issue. We will be conducting 3 Day Racing schools and Advanced 2 Days among other programs at Road America this year as well as holding a National Championship race with ALMS in August, but the later than usual scheduling and our own logistics issues relating to scheduling at other locations limited the number of offered dates we could use.

I have had a good personal relationship with Road America. In the interest of looking forward and not the “rear view mirror” (the only way to win the race) we are already in the process of working with Road America to modify and extend our existing long-term agreement and resolve scheduling issues so that in future years we will be assured that SBRS has access to the facility on basically the same weeks every year. This will be a benefit for both parties. Our objective is to run at least two race weekends at Road America in 2011 and beyond!

See you at a track soon!"

Last edited by sydude; 01-29-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Wacky formatting issues