View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

From the perspective of an orthopaedic surgeon - we should all wear the HANS device. I have seen some of the manufacturers data and I believe (as evidently does NASCAR, FIA, IRL, etc.) that the decel forces are significantly less with the HANS. Skippy should provide them in some quantity so that the occasional racer or school participant etc., has availability of the HANS for their use. My only comment would be to wear the device properly. Even though he is the world's best, Michael S wears the thethers on his so long that I doubt the device can function in the manner in which it was designed (check it out on the next F1 race) . This sets a bad example for the rest of us. Tightening up the tethers does limit rotational movement and the ability to look out the side of the car to some degree, but is easy to adapt to and allows the device to protect us as it was designed to do.

Once we know something is better (when tallking about driver safety) we need to move forward and adopt the technology.

K squared