View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Re: Medals vs. Trophies

Hey Folks,

As someone new to racing, but old to competition, I'd just like to pass along my thoughts. I've been a nationally ranked tennis player and have played at all levels. I've received plates, cups, plaques, and medals. By far, the one I prefer the most is a good, old-fashioned trophy on a base. Plates are cool to, because you can put them on a stand. The one I preferred the least was a medal. You just can't display them very well. In tennis, I was expected to win, so the idea of transporting a trophy home was just part of the packing. Since my entire racing career spans about six months, and my drive to compete is off the charts, if I were to get a podium, I would literally throw out half of my suitcase to make sure it fit! So, I don't think trophy transport should even be an issue.

On a slightly different note, I really think that if SB has two distinct point series, then it should have two distinct podiums. Finishing second or third in Masters in a race that is likely half Ms and/or GMs is quite an accomplishment, and it should be recognized. Anyone who nows anything about competition knows that those tangible tokens provide targets for goals and success. Get a podium... get second... win a race... get a regular podium... and on and on. Each is a stepping stone.

I absolutely love racing, and I look forward to more competitions and comradery.

Bobby