Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #2 of 8: TIRES
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006
Chris Hawley
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #2 of 8: TIRES

I ran on treaded tires at my first race weekend at Mid Ohio and loved them. They seemed to provide plenty of grip for such a light car. As oldman pointed out, they were extremely predictable and communicative. There was no question as to when the G-Forces were starting to slide - SQUEEEEAAAALLLLLLLL!!!! They gave me plenty of time to correct whatever problems I caused. Furthermore, the tread pattern made it very easy to tell when the tire was slowing down and/or coming to a stop, so I could almost subconsciously modulate the brake pedal before lockup occured. I'm not sure I could do that nearly as easily with a slick, as it would be more difficult to discern when it was actually slowing down and stopping.

That being said, I prefer slicks for obvious reasons. More grip is always better, in my opinion, but I definitely see the disadvantages. It would be pointless to run slicks (softer compound) at any races except the Nationals, and even then it's a stretch. As people have already pointed out, "swapping" the slicks for treaded tires when it rains is tons of work for the mechanics. Honestly, I think everything is perfect just the way it is: use G-Forces for everything but the Nationals.