Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #1 of 8: WINGS
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006
Lost In Asia
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #1 of 8: WINGS

Make the car look cool I think is very important, from a marketing point of view.

1. Does the new car need wings for a 3-Day School?
Yes, mainly for marketing, little chance they will really be using the wings.

2. Does the new car need wings for Advance Activities (Lapping, ADV 2-Day)
Yes, and I'd recomend letting drivers change the settings to see what difference it makes (I'm assuming the wings actually create downforce).

3. Does the new car need wings for the Regional Race Series?
Yes, again for marketing, and also I think they should have enough downforce that you can feel it. This is to help students when they move on to higher class race cars. You have to learn to use them some time, so why not earlier.

4. Does the new car need wings for the MASTERS National Championship?
Yes. Actually, just let them vote on it.

5. Does the new car need wings for the regular Skip Barber National Championship?
Yes. I'd recomend let the Testers set the rear wing, and dirvers adjust the front wing for thier taste. I'd recomend this for the Regional class too, but if you share cars, too much hassle to always change the settings.

The reason I recomend not being able to change the rear wing is because some tracks it may be faster with low downforce. But, I think the drivers should use some downforce, to learn how to use it. Let them adjust the front wing, as that changes drag very little, and lets them adjust the handling to thier taste.

6. For each of the above activities, if "Yes", what level of downforce is appropriate in general terms, such as Light, Medium, Heavy downforce?
Enough that you can feel it, yet not so much that all the fast corners can be done flat out. Should not be set for the fastest lap time, as some tracks that might be no wing.

7. Should the wing angles be adjustable by customer request at any of the above activities? If so, which series should be adjustable?
If they share the car, no adjustment. Nationals I'd say only Front Wing adjustments. Masters National, anything. I'm saying this, since I assume most National dirvers want to move up and out of Skippy, while Masters want to stay.

8. Any other comments?
What about a rear floor/diffuser? Great way to generate lots of downforce with little drag and little effect from "dirty air." Also, not easy to damage it, except for a big accident.

Have a happy. . .
Vinay