Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #4 of 8: DATA ACQUISITION
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #4 of 8: DATA ACQUISITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf360m
I agree that this is probably the fastest, simplest and least expensive way. If you want the data it would be your responsibility to buy a memory card and the software app and provide your own pc. Then when you get in the car you'd insert your memory card which would clear the previous lap times and start recording new ones.

The mechanics already have enough to do to have to go around and change memory cards.

I also think that having bluetooth or IR will just add to expense fopr something that isn't really necessary. (Why not have car to pit telemetry so that our 'pit crew' can analyze it during the session and tell us through the newly added pit to car headsets where we can go faster?) So I'd stick with the basic, simple memory card.

But I'd only do any of this if it didn't add any cost. I think that 90% of the drivers will benefit more from simple track time rather than looking at graphs etc.
I agree that adding wireless to the cars is getting too complex.

My only problem with the bring your own memory card to the car and load it onto your own PC approach is that by far the most valuable aspect of having the data in the first place is comparing your speed trace to that of someone who is a lot faster than you are (or, if you are the fastest, having the satisfaction of seeing from the data just how effectively you are smoking the competiton). If the system (and I'm refering not just to the hardware in the car, but the entire process put in place to collect and distribute the data) implemented doesn't make it possible for people to get anything but their own data, then data acquistion loses about 95% of its value in the Skip Barber equal car/no setup change context (it might still retain some value in the nationals, where one could use data from successive runs to evaluate the effectiveness of setup changes).