Thread: Racing Workout
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Racing Workout

This is a great thread..Driving a 125 Shifter kart for a workout is not only fun but a great workout..Every week I drive down to Homestead and drive a 125 shifter and alternate with a Rotax. I'll do 20 laps in the shifter and take a short break, then 20 laps in the Rotax, The shifter is much more intense, but the Rotax is a completely different driving style, so it's good practice for me to quickly shift mentally to the other style. It is more difficult I think to drive a Rotax fast and it is less forgiving to over-driving. I do this for about 3 hours..Sometimes I'll put very sticky new tires on the front and hard tires on the rear..This gives the kart unbelievable front grip relative to the rear and is another good mental exercise, plus it's fun. If it's raining, then I can go all day.. Less g's..In the rain, sometimes I'll stay on slicks as long as I can, then switch to rains when the big puddles develop. I also race the Rotax sometimes..It's very intense and good practice.,

The other thing I have taken up lately is mountain biking..I used to race motocross as a kid so it was not a hard transition. Its a great cardio workout, plus you have to be 100% focused 100% of the time..In Florida we don't have mountains, but we have trails with hills and man made obstacles.Roots, logs ect. .One lap is 8-10 miles..My heart rate really varies up and down so its like 1 hour interval session or a race car stint...I chased Ozz around a Miami mountain bike park for three laps( about an hour per lap) with a 10 minute break between laps and was dead for a week.

I also go road biking once or twice a week for a 40 mile ride..This is just constant cardio and mentally pretty relaxing.,Builds up a good aerobic base,

In between I do weight training and core body stuff..I do high reps, three sets of 15, as I don't want to build big muscle. Plus a lot of core training.

Also, don't forget to take a day off and relax for a day a week..