View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Changing SBRS Groups

Not suggesting it wasn't an honor to get that Masters win but finished P5 over 8 seconds behind Jordan Taylor and Jim Craige (Jim is now a Master too, thank you very much. :-) and 13 seconds behind the leaders Kyle and Gabby. I wasn't anywhere near the podium in that group. Big fun trying though. (Even more fun was the P3 phantom podium for the memorial behind Gabby and Duke in Tremblant... Now THAT was FUN!)

It's a very different feeling when you rise up through a group of peers and go from being near dfl to knowing you can probably podium and possibly win against anyone in that group. Great confidence builder. For someone my age that's rarified air. Having lived the dream I can now take my proper place among the ranks of the half-fast and be humbled by younger or more experienced and talented drivers without wondering what it feels like to compete up front and win a race. There's always the next level of craft to challenge you as a driver but I wouldn't trade those experiences in sportsman for anything.

My final word is that I think most probably prefer whatever system they were brought up with because that was their standard of measure at the time.

So many experienced racers and instructors speak highly of the old grouping system, but whatever system is used, we'll have the most fun if it's fully subscribed. (And that goes to issues out of our control like marketing, price and customer service) I know the instructors do everything they can to give the customer a good experience. We can only wonder what the thinking is regarding those other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Pat, you saw podium 2x last year, Masters win at VIR and P2 at LRP.

Last time I say this, my first season (old system, one group) I had a P3 at LRP, rain made it possible. It was not my driving skills, it was patience, last lap P3 went off in Uphill, I tiptoed by for the podium, IT CAN HAPPEN even to noobs.