View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: A few Thoughts on Safety

My HANS stays securely installed every time. I've posted HANS fitting in the Skippy car on Juicy before, but here it is again.

1. First tighten the lap belt as tight as humanly possible. Remember to pull the strap forwards and backwards as you pull it toward your hip, this helps get the last few webs to tighten.

2. Next place the shoulder belts as far to the inside (toward your neck) as possible. Do one initial pull of each belt to snug them somewhat, then using your hands, pull both belts again toward your neck.

3. Now, you will tighten each shoulder belt, alternatively. Each time you pull down and release, use your hands to re-align both belts as close to your neck as possible. Then pull the other belt. Re-align. Pull the first, re-align, pull the second, re-align, continuing until it just won't tighten anymore. It is very important to re-align the belts toward your neck each time you pull.

4. As you tighten the shoulder belts and re-align, make sure that the belt falls over the inside forward edge of the neck yokes (the ends closest to the center of your sternum).

5. Taller drivers have a harder time fitting the HANS than shorter drivers.

That's what I got. If you want, I'd be happy to help any of you with your fitting process to make sure you are doing it right the next time we are at the track together. Just ask.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use