Thread: Pipe dream?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Pipe dream?

Wow! this thread really took off, or maybe I was out to lunch. But, I had to reply. I too was a full time racing fan and SUDDENLY, at the age of 42, I attended my three day school.
I too had that idea of making a living in some form of racing. I loved racing and would have loved being a part of it. My Walter Mitty dreams were carefully put to rest by the very supportive instructors. But that didn't curb my enthusiasm for JUST PARTICIPATING. At first I was hoping to be an undiscovered Vintage racing hero; courted by rich owners to drive their priceless race cars at Laguna. NOT!
I soon realized that my racing ambitions were more in line with the social love of driving and other drivers. They are a weird and wonderful gorup. From the instructor, to fellow participants, they all have a story to tell. All you have to do is listen and be carried away by their story. This is 90% of the experience, enjoy it.
As for making a living at 40 in racing, at 40 years young it probably won't happen. But Just ENJOY the experience and learn the craft. Everything you learn at the track can easily be taken to the street and be used to umpress your friends ( and the local constabluary)
I hope to see you at one of my racing weekends. I am a mid pack driver that takes it very seriously in the cockpit, and can't wait to improve. But, as soon as I step out of the car I want to hear about everyone elses experiences
Welcome aboard and have fun with the whole group. Roger Penske is probably not in the pits looking at me as his next driving prospect; but in the car I feel as fast as anyone. "Top of the world Ma!"