View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Starting Out in Racing

I thought I would weigh in on this for a moment. After the weekend at the Glen, an friend of mine (who races an MGA in the SCCA) wanted to know all about it.
He has spent a small pile of money on this project. As he added it up to around $100,000 for car, repairs, trailering, crash damage, etc.
Each time I go to see him race there seems to be another expence to be added in. They also throw him in some classes where he has no one to race with or he spends all of his time racing his mirrors.
I don't want to sound like a Skippy advertisment, but the simple ease of arriving; being given an equal car, NOT spending all that time fixing and fidgeting on the car, driving with other equal cars and drivers, and swapping stories with other drivers cannot be easier. As an added bonus; I asked some of the other drivers for advice and received REAL advice, not some BS.
Of course racing is expensive or I would do it every weekend. But for me, the minimum hassle, competitive atmosphere, new friends, and great feedback make a Skippy weekend low stress indeed.
Oh, but you still have to control the same emotions that always are there in any racing weekend.
Remember, Slow Hands: tight sphinkter.