Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): Future Race Series Cars...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Future Race Series Cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lopez
Let's remember that the goal here is not to make a series car that is faster than what we already have...but one that is driver friendly, safe, consistent, less likely to crash, and, when the inevitable happens, is less expensive to repair, and more easily returned to the fold. Wonderful if it looks more like a modern race car, but, when racing against others in the same equipment, equality is more important than lap time. We have already moved to faster and faster lap times with the changes we have made over the last 10 years, but have we improved the drivability of the cars and made a more level playing field? I don't think so.

I vote to shift thoughts of seven second-a-lap faster cars to cars that have good, lower effort, response to steering inputs, brake effort and sensitivity, and throttle modulation. Cars that draft reasonably well to reward racecraft over the willingness to try the last second dive bomb. Most of our competitors are not headed for the professional ranks where the sole focus on winning and lap time is the name of the game. The 2 % who move on will learn the hard and dirty end of the sport as they get there. Why not try to preserve this oasis of spirited, sportsmanlike competition at a level thats not as fast and dangerous as it could be, but as quick and scary as it already is?
Carl -- The design goals and priorities you have articulated seem exactly right to me. I hope you and like minded instructors, who have been around a long time and understand what makes the Skip Barber Race Series what it is, have the ear of management as this process moves forwards.