View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Changing SBRS Groups

I've added a poll with two options and left out the 3rd option of going back to a 3-group system because, (correct me if I'm wrong Todd or Randy) current enrollment wouldn't support it. (Sorry Chris).

When enrollment's down competition suffers no matter what group format you're using. It's like arranging 25 chairs around a table for 75. You can move the chairs around creatively but you'll never get the more satisfying dynamic of having a full table. In almost all cases large race groups produce better racing.

Never drove the old system but sportsman let me experience my increase in speed and race craft more dramatically. My budget never allowed an entire series season but having the possibility of winning a couple of races and making the podium a few times in my 3rd year of competition was a big motivator. Only got to the podium once last year in Champ group but learned a lot from the higher level of competition so the argument can be made both ways.

I suspect the old system may have been a faster breeder of pure racers while the current system coddles beginners a bit more. Long time instructors and racers would be a better judge than I. What do you guys think?