View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Re: Say ya got around $32K to spend on a car.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I had an 04 for about a year, of which it spent about a quarter of the time in the service bay at the dealership. I certainly have some fond memories of the car, but I don't miss it either.
That reminds me of my 1993 3rd generation RX-7 twin turbo, great car, new model (dealer said I had first in US) and nothing but trouble. BUT, it was a weird circumstance.

I replaced the orig tires with new Bridgestones of the exact dimensions as the orig. tires but they were in fact 1/4" wider than the old tires (which were made specifically for that car by Pirelli, maybe they 'cheated' on the specs?). That slight difference in width caused chaffing of the wheel well liner at full lock going over bumps or entering driveways. There was a wiring harness behind the well liner right where it was chaffing and it eventually wore through causing shorts. Needless to say this was an elusive problem that cost the dealer $45,000 over 5 years of chasing the problems and endless frustration for me.

I have read a lot of forum posts on the JCW and I don't find many citing problems like you experienced. Lemons are real and perhaps that's what happened?

I really appreciate the input and you have definitely spooked me. I agree you can get the JWC parts aftermarket but there goes your warranty so I don't consider that an option. Dick Lippert has an S that he loves and has not had any problems with, do you think the reliability woes you had were due to the JWC upgrades?

Thanks