View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Road closed to everyone but YOU!

I was wondering when TJR would chime in on this. Many other sites have been abuzz over this thing and wondering if it is for real. There is huge skepticism about this event. TJR has been eerily sillent until now making me think you were all in and the Auriemma's and Daly's were going to bum rush the competition.
I guess I will serve as the guinea pig. Yes, too good to be true but also to tempting to pass up. I have sent in my 1,000 and am now scheduled for a Robin Hood Rally interview next Tuesday at the Stamford Marriott (should I wear green tights and put a feather in my cap?). Their post card say's they have picked NBC as the network. Does not say anything about NBC wanting anything to do with them (Kind of like the first girl I asked to the prom).
A friend of mine just finished a pilot for a show he hopes to get onto an HGTV type of network called 'common spaces'. The entire production crew worked for nothing, of course their budget was minimal so it was mostly their time. If this rally makes good on the prizes I'm assuming the entry fee will cover those prizes even if no show materializes. In doing further investigation "Stephan" says he has secured ten 30 min spots. Sounds like an infomercial or something that would air around midnight after re-runs of Law and Order(maybe we can get the tonight show). Most logical place would be the speed channel. They said 100 people would compete. How do you cram a 100 car time trial into a 30 minute segment? Supposedly pro's are not allowed, they go on to say that if your paid to drive a race car you can not play but if you pay to play than your welcome. That leaves some huge talent on tap as Michael and many others on this site can go toe to toe with many a pro.
Sounds like half the world has gotten their post cards, I have recieved two so far. Racer magazine would encompass everyone here and probably not to hard to get lists from just about anywhere that someone could have marginal interest in auto racing. They say they have prescreened and denied over 300 applicants. It sounds like they are looking for people with significant experience so that 1. cars are fast enough that it's actualy interesting to watch on T.V. 2. If someone gets killed, the participant has signed a waiver but family members have not and I can't imagine the location of the following event would allow it to run if such a tragedy occured so one would think they want people who aren't going to do Mach 3 into a tree.
They are making some kind of grading curve for car weight and horsepower. They haven't explained it yet. I figure if the scourge of the SCCA shows up (which I'm hoping) I have a shot of putting something pretty in the driveway. If it's a who's who of SBR than I'll save my tires, brakes and possibly a fender or two and be a spectator.