Thread: Racing Workout
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Re: Racing Workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
My reply is designed to entice Rosso into some engineering analysis. The 220 pounder also adds some ballast that is the equivalent of some wing going into and through corners -- how much wing and how much more than a 160 pounder is the question.

Can a heavier driver actually go a bit faster through a corner? It seems intuitive that when applying the pedal on the way out of a corner, the lighter drivers have an advantage. But if the heavier driver can exploit the extra load on the tires and maintain more speed into and through the corner, then the average speed difference from turn-in to track-out between a lighter and heavier driver can be reduced. And especially if the heavier driver can maintain higher rpms and get on power a tad earlier, then the key factor of speed onto the following straight is not tipped so much in favor of the lighter driver.

Rosso? Anybody else?
I know what lines you're thinking along, but you've got just a bit mixed around. Think of it this way: A 1000lb car can go through a corner much faster than a 2000lb car correct? A heavier driver will make you corner slower AND accelerate slower.

When you try equating it to a wing is where you're understanding drops off. You see a wing adds "weight" without adding mass.
Not to mention if you are to graph a tires grip is can produce against the load on the tire you would not get a linear function, it's more of an exponential decay. A rough example is a tire with 150 lbs on it can generate 140 lbs cornering force, while that same tire with 300 lbs on it will only generate a 250 lbs cornering force. 140x2=280 which is much greater than 250.

oh and as far as a racing workout: one thing I've started doing that seems to make a difference is to take a 10 or 20 lb plate (what you would put a benchpress bar) and hold it just like a steering wheel. Basically steer all the way to the rack stops on the left and then right, and do it as fast as possible. People in the gym give me weird looks but I swear it has helped me recover from some slides I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't been doing this. I swear this even gives me a cardio workout if you do it at the end of your lifting routine.

Another variation is to do it with a 10 lb dumb bell in each hand... helps with stabilizing a little more.