View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

What angle did you settle on?

My suggestion would have been to have an instructor observe you sitting in the car in pit lane to find the optimum angle.

Still using the HANS I bought 12 years ago. Sent it back for recertification a few years back. It was re-certified and fitted with new padding. Changed it over to a sliding tether when they first came out. It has served me well and saved my neck more times than I'd care to remember. :-)

My HANS has protected me in spec Miatas, MX-5's, F3 Lola's and the vast majority in Skip Barber open wheel cars.

Wouldn't roll in any race car without it.

Now shoulder arms have ridges to keep belts from sliding off and, as you mention, are adjustable for added comfort and safety when moving to different types of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
Have no experience with the adjustable HANS but my suggestion would be to get in the car with it loose and then get comfortable and see which setting is comfortable and lock it off there. Certainly more likely you'll be going in the 25 or 20 degree setting. 20 sounds extreme but 25 would be a reasonable guess. Just go by what's comfortable.

I purchased a new HANS adjustable a couple months ago but yesterday was the first time I was able to try it in the Formula cars. I had it set on 30 degrees and it was pushing my helmet forward and down at a very uncomfortable angle. It wasn't digging into me up front, so am I correct in thinking I need to reduce the angle? Maybe try 20 degrees? It adjusts in 5 degree increments from 10-40 degrees.