View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaker
(Ah, I think I see the problem. You are viewing this as a marketing issue. Because it uses newer technology it has been on the market for less time, therefore fewer are in use, therefore it must be inferior. Sort of like the light bulb when it was first invented. "This can't possibly work, I dont' know anyone who uses it.")

Not at all Mr. Baker. We just don't have an infinite amount of time and money to evaluate every new idea that comes along. As I said before, you may have built the better mouse trap but until it turns up in professional circumstances as a viable alternative, I'm going to be skeptical, not because it isn't good but because I don't have time to give it due dilligence and don't know enough others who have. As a part time racer I'm not going to put my life at risk with an uproven technology.

(I'm an engineer, not a salesman. I am concerned with the product kicking butt in the crash lab and at the track. The late majority eventually give up their kerosene lamps.)

Great! You may be an engineer first but you also present yourself here as the champion promoter of this product. Sy Sperling sold a lot of "Hair Club for Men" memberships by showing a picture of his hairless pate at the end of his commercials to validate himself. Lots of people loved it and others saw it as cheesy self promotion.

Since I don't know you from Adam, the fact that your an engineer could be completely validating or a smoke screen to give your strong promotion some validation. I'm not making either assumption, but when the guy who designs the product is also the biggest promoter of the product there is an automatic conflict of interest that is hard to evaluate from the outside. If your product was the standard of the industry and Mr. HANS showed up with his device this discussion would be happening in exactly the same manner with him. You clearly believe in your product and time will tell if it proves itself and the rest of us come around or not. When I start seeing it and hearing about it in other racing circles, I'll be happy to give up my kerosene lamp. If someone showed up with your device at one of our races I'd certainly give it a good hard look and possibly try it but don't insult our intelligence because we aren't true believers in the same manner you are.

(An open-minded person would want to try it. Since a close-minded person could not provide unbiased feedback, we do not encourage them to give it a whirl.)

(Actually, I am heavily invested in structural implants for neurological and orthopaedic surgeons.)

(This is amusing. Do you honestly believe anyone is going to make money serving some Mickey Mouse $5MM racing market, compared to a $15B implant market?)

(Nah. Brain surgeons, now those guys are a tough sell.)
So we can deduce that you're making the really big bucks off the tough crowd brain surgeon implant market and just fooling around with your racing device for purely humanitarian reasons? Last time I checked, $5MM was a pretty good pay-day!

Why are you involved in this Mickey Mouse $5MM racing market then?

PS. The "Better at sex..." title can be changed at any time in the user preference section.