View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Skip Barber National: Rnd 3&4 Virginia International Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Hey Paul,

I can and will do that but have to leave within the hour to Boston for the next three days so I'll have to delay my crushing word count.

In a nut shell my first regional race I started ninth and was working with Brian Cook to stay with the lead pack of kids when my engine went south or the throttle cable stretched and I didn't have full song. This happened two thirds of the way through the race and I had enough pace to maintain my position to the finish. I was given a gift at the end when I believe Franco A. knocked Greg S. off track so I finished 7th instead of 9th.

Instead of doubling I jumped into the back of the national race and came down the hill with the field and saw what looked and sounded like the same kind of start I'd experienced an hour earlier in the regional. Pace car pulled in and we all went to full power. What I didn't anticipate was the front row suddenly slowing to a crawl that quickly packed up the field in front of me. People were slowing and popping right and left to avoid contact but I was seeing the pops as normal race start maneuvering so I kept my foot in it. Like a line drive hit right at a center fielder, it was hard to perceive the speed changes happening as the field stacked up.

By the time I perceived trouble and locked up the brakes Greg was already slowed trying to avoid the guy in front of him and my left front hit Greg's right rear. I was going 83mph and Greg was down to 40mph. My left front flew off and forward bouncing off of Brian Cook's roll bar. My car then mounted and launched over the back of Greg's getting big air while turning sideways to the right and landing hard on it's left side knocking me unconscious then barrel rolling high enough not to knock off Mike Marino's roll bar camera. My car disassembled itself magnificently and the video reveals I came to rest right side up pointing at the end of the garage's with me unconscious and right foot on full throttle with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter. Greg jumped out and ran up waving for help. About 40 seconds had now passed and Greg reached in and turned off the motor. Gerardo sprinted up removed the nose and disconnected the battery and checked my feet. The VIR medical people were also quickly on the scene where they removed my helmet and put me in a neck brace before removing me from the car. I was transported to the VIR medical center and then the hospital where I was given a cat scan and evaluation. Julia, MHP and Gerardo came to the hospital and could not have been more vigilant or supportive. After a few hours of observation I was released and returned to have a pleasant dinner with Jim Craige, Greg Strelzoff and Things one thru six at the Oak Tree Tavern

I have a concussion that will take a couple of weeks to recover from so I didn't participate in any other races this weekend...

The kids on the front row were talked to and penalized points for what happened. Obviously this is a teaching series and they weren't trying to create a dangerous situation but it happened. I got caught out because it didn't fit the pattern of any race starts I'd been involved with and the pattern of pops looked like race start pops, not emergency stop pops. No one put a hand up that might have tipped me off that something else was going on and I hadn't factored in the age and experience of the guys at the front.

I need to thank the VIR medical team, Julia, MHP, Gerardo the hospital doctor and staff and everyone (and I do mean everyone) at Skip Barber from mechanics to instructors and administrators who have expressed nothing but love and support through this unusual event.

I attended the drivers meeting for the 2nd National race where the event was discussed at length. We all had a group hug before the start where Bob Ziegel and I asked them to make us proud and I drove the pace car for the start. Race two was hard fought, nose to tail the whole time with brilliant driving that was thrilling to watch. They did indeed make us proud.

Wish I'd been battling with them but I will take credit for leading them to the start.

Looking forward to WGI!

Wow pat, first off, glad to hear you are doing okay and that no serious injuries occurred! This almost reminds me of the story you told me of your 1st big crash at Laguna a couple years ago! Glad to see you are well!!! I have live feed to my phone of the race from twitter and when i read before the race started there was a crash on the front straight and the race was black flagged... i had no idea what could of happened!!! Again, glad to see u are okay! Also, if u do have footage of the incident, it would be a great tool to show the many scenarios that can happened on the start of the race!!!