Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): Skippy Components Survey #8 of 8 - COST
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Skippy Components Survey #8 of 8 - COST

Safety should be an overwhelming factor in the new car, as we tend to make big mistakes.
1) The roll hoop should be much broader to keep the car from sinking into the gravel upon a rollover.
I know from first hand experience how deep the car can sink. I saw gravel at the top of my visor, meaning that my helmet was a couple of inches into the stuff, while my neck was bent over in an exteme position. I consider myself very lucky to be able to feed myself and get around without a wheelchair.
2) We need better protection from intrusion into the cockpit from any and all angles. I remember seeing Mark Martinez's helmet with the visor ripped off from the wheel of a car that T-boned him and hit him in the head. He also was lucky to walk away. I noticed he hasn't raced with us this past year.
3) Along with better upper side protection, which may block some vision to the sides, we should have mirrors that show a wider area to compensate for that.

As for any of the extra horns and whistles, I don't fell the need for any of it. I shift by ear and can pretty much learn where I'm slow by slightly pushing my limits until I scare myself, then wait until I'm comfortable at that point and then push it again.

I want to make a comment about the wings; if we have them, they should be functional and not for looks. SBRS would be a laughing stock if the put non-functional wings on a car just to intice new clients. I'd like to see a little more down force so we can experience more G-forces to better prepare us for the next rung in the ladder.

A 45 minute race sounds about right to me; 30 minutes doesn't allow you much time to be able to compensate for a mistake and an hour would be too long. We have problems getting all the groups run as it is.

As to cost, well no one wants to pay more and the cheaper it is , the more drivers SBRS can attract.
The best way to keep cost down with regard to the new car will be dependent on how SBRS finances the fleet and how long they believe they can amortize the loan; three years?, five years? or even seven? Can they take accelerated depreciation? It's their business model and I assume they know best what they need to do to control the cost. Everybody understands that less is better.
Let the chips fall where they may, and hopefully we'll still have a series.

The other thing is controlling crash damage and that rest with us. Curb your aggression and increase your awareness.