View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Lightbulb Re: Improving the National Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo
I've been meaning to post a thread about improving the Skip Barber National Championship for a while, so today's the day.
I have been meaning to respond to this since you posted it yesterday, so today's the day.

Quote:
1. What does it need to sell more seats?
TV coverage, if Speed covered the Nationals it would help tremendously. Get the nationals to run the same schedule as the Mazda Pro series, and have Speed cover them, or pick another series and follow then, but the key is to always run with a televised series, and work out a TV deal with them.

If that is just not possible, then have 2-4 people with Camera shot all the races, pay Doug to edit it up and post the Races for download on the web. You can have 2-4 drivers per race that will get a free helix in car camera, and that can be edited in. I know it's a lot of work per weekend. The series needs that type of exposure, for the kids and their sponsors.

Quote:
2. What amenities does it have that are good?
Feedback, feedback, feedback. The best ( the only without your own engineer ) in the industry!
Limited liability
Arrive and Drive, no transported needed.

Quote:
3. What amenities does it lack?
Pit babes and umbrella girls... seriously
I am really not joking here....

And again, TV coverage.

and again, again, Pit babes and umbrella girls...
Quote:
4. What is the right price point?
A full season of around 50K is a great price point. But look at the Mazda Pro series, it costs MUCH more that that and they have ~38-40 cars per event. Why does the Nationals only bring in 15? under half the number of competitors makes no sense. We should have 30+cars per race! We should have so many people wanting to run that we set a max limit and have it so you have to qualify to run.

Whatever price brings in good talent drivers in larger numbers so that the Nationals are recognized as an important step in open wheel racing in the US.

Quote:
5. What feedback or rumors have you heard others from other series say about the National series, good and bad?
I have seen at least one other series claim that running Barber is >300K per year. You and I know that they are referring to the old Pro series, but someone else might not, make the prices well known!

All of us who race Skippy KNOW that it's the best value in racing, from the Instructors feedback to the (relatively) equal cars, to the ( from a budget perspective the most important) limited liability.

Quote:
6. If you have raced Nationals, what brought you to the series? How has it helped you?
Haven't yet, but probably will run at least 1 next season. ( to learn by fire )