View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Bobo, Pew, Herrington & Jaeger in BIG crash at Montreal

Thank you to everyone for all your emails and phone calls. I was stuck in the hospital for two days as a precaution and did not have my Blackberry with me.

I just saw the video of the crash and it's not how I remember it. It's funny how you go over and over again the crash in your head and then see it on video and it looks different. Once my car hit the wall and began flight, I had my eyes closed and all I knew was that I was in the air. I came down hard and then got slammed by two more cars. The HANS, Arai helmet, bead seat and the carbon tub did a fantasic job.

Brad Jaeger and Daniel Herrington got the worst of it. I saw them in the hospital. They will both be OK. Brad stopped by my room in his wheelchair on his way out. His car was under mine as I was landing and my tire hit his head on the way down. I was most concerned with about him as he was not concious after the crash. He'll be OK, but cannot race for two weeks. He has my tire marks on his helmet as a reminder.

Daniel's legs got hurt pretty bad, but they are not broken and he'll recover fine. He took some very big hits. He got out of the hospital before me also. He called me later to check on me. Nice kid.

Gerardo will be OK, but his car took the brunt of it. His car made the front page of the Montreal paper sports section. It's toast, but did its job and took care of our man Gerardo. Gerardo was the first face I saw after the crash. After I landed and the crashing stopped, I remember just sitting in my car dazed. Then suddenly I see Gerardo's face in front of mine yelling, " Are you OK, John?" When I said yes, he ran over to everyone else and did the same. Thanks Gerardo too, for hangin out with me at the hospital to midnight.

The real bummer is that I think I would of had a real good race. I felt great. I went from P16 at the start to somewhere close to the front by turn 4 and was feeling great.

I just returned to Victoria and plan to do some testing at Miller soon if my car can get back together by then.