Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): John Greist on the New Skippy Car
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: John Greist on the New Skippy Car

Not sure if this is a drivers training session or the third prototype in testing... either way it works for me.

Donald I respectfully disagree that there is no policy to deter crashing. Damage assessment goes up, percentage of responsibility is assessed and instuctors review and discuss driver behavior regularly with each other and with the offenders. No one wants to be on the AP list but some people can afford it more than others. Do those who have deep pockets get special treatment? I don't know? From my perspective anyone who crashes a lot and can continue to race has deep pockets so its a self selecting group! I guess you are suggesting a penalty box where your enjoyment of racing is diminished or removed to make you think about your offenses. The only problem with that is that if you can afford frequent crash damage, you can also afford to go somewhere else if they put you in the penalty box. Perhaps that's your point... How about a Scarlet Letter racing suit and helmet that labels you a menace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdod
One of the things I would like to add regarding the economics of racing has little to do with the new car per se, but can have a dramatic effect on the cost of racing. The issue is crashes. Racing is a dangerous sport and crashes are inevitable. I've crashed. And everyone of us has been involved or caused a crash at one time or another. Those of us silly enough to race need to budget accordingly. However, I believe that there is far too much tolerance for crashes and for drivers who crash regularly. This is a managable issue that needs to be addressed (beyond the obvious safety issue) to remedy one of the more "costly" oversights of the racing series. Tolerence in the series of the rich and infamous is, to my mind, bad business.

And for the record, if this means that I get moved out of a particular class, are required to take more training/lapping days, or get thrown off the track altogether, so be it. With rare exception, no one at Skip Barber Racing is that malicious to abuse such a policy. But without a policy, there is anarchy.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04117.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1223  

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-22-2006 at 06:42 PM.