View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011
Skippy Girl
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Medals vs. Trophies

What if SBRS had a program set up at a trophy shop that allowed each winner to pick their own prize? Each placing would earn X amount of award credit. The winner can choose between plaques, trophies, silver plates, or medals. The trophy shop can have basic templates set up for each event that can be added to any award. SBRS may be able to negotiate free shipping to individuals eliminating travel issues. If a winner wants to upgrade to a higher quality prize (silver plating to sterling, plastic cup to metal, ect) they can bank trophy credits or pay the additional charge.

I remember when I was in charge of handing out trophies, some racers didn’t want their trophies(most were second place, third place, and master prizes). Some racers may decide that they would prefer to order awards only for wins and some racers may not even choose to redeem credits for prizes. This system could save SBRS money in the long run as well as give racers the prize they want.

The shop should have 4 basic sets of prizes for easy ordering and each placing credit should be enough to cover the basic prize types:

FIRST PLACE Credit
Basic Large Trophy
Basic Large Plate
Basic Large Plaque
Basic Gold Medal

SECOND PLACE Credit
Basic Medium Trophy
Basic Medium Plate
Basic Medium Plaque
Basic Silver Medal

THIRD PLACE/Masters Credit
Basic Small Trophy
Basic Small Plate
Basic Small Plaque
Basic Bronze Medal

Drivers would pose with prop trophies in podium ceremony after the race then receive a print out of award credit that contains the event name, placing, award credit amount, and instructions on how to order award from the trophy company. After each race SBRS staff sends the trophy company a list of driver’s names and award credit amounts.

With the basic award structure set up the driver could call or email the trophy company to order with minimal effort. Step one: pick award type, Step two: Provide race information(Track/date/group ect) Step three: provide mailing info. Done. A driver’s name could be added to personalize the award. Another bonus is that the driver can choose to wait until season end to order awards that best suit their needs. Expiration of credits can be determined by SBRS (6/12/18 months after race weekend)

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan