View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004
Bavarian Berserk
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

I have some thoughts on how to smoothly and cost efficiently integrate HANS as a requirement without requiring racers to shell out another $1,200 for equipment.

At any given SBRS weekend there are 50 to 90 drivers at a track but never more than 16 on it in a car at the same time.
What I am saying is what about equipping all "cars" with HANS. What if SB ordered 20 devices (5Large 15 regular) and made it mandatory for drivers to wear them.
It will cost SB 20G, which means that they would have to raise prices byabout 25$ for a race or school etc. in order to break even.

The drivers would be responsible to have their helmets fitted. Individual helmets could be fitted by the mechanics for the nominal $75 fee that HANS is charging. This is also a welcome contribution to the mechanics fund. SBRS helmets would be fitted by HANS - the preparation of helmets is included in the purchase of the device.
Oh, some of now you will complain and say "hey I bought my own, why don't I get a credit or something?" - Well you also bought your own helmets and suits and are fine with not getting any refund.

The other beauty of this procedue is that it would render Michael's parachuting equipment as being entirely useless (including the neck brace) and we could make some jokes about it actually that would be Donald's job).