Thread: No Driver Ed.
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: No Driver Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I just went out and tried this in my '07 BMW (Already sold MY Moms car!) goes from D to N while moving with no problem. Don't know if it has an electronic throttle.

Again, I think that is easy enough to prove. Don't a lot of these newer cars have some memory in their computers that records a certain amount of data?

I know ANY Toyota that has a normal mechanical shift linkage, like the ES etc. CAN be knocked into neutral at ANY speed. I've done it myself plenty of times.

MAYBE SOME cars that just have an electronic shifter. Like the tiny lil switch in some Mercedes and such are different. The only Toyota I've driven with something like that was the CVT in the Prius and I've actually knocked that one as well into neutral at legal road speeds. I'll be working another Toyota program in a couple weekends. I'll check it out on whatever models we happen to have there. IT IS mindboggling that state trooper didn't have the presence to figure out something. Aren't they trained to deal with extremely stressful situations and make the safe and prpoer choices, with a firearm none the less????? Scary on many levels.
An absolute tragedy for sure. I hope culprit / solution is found.