Thread: Pipe dream?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Pipe dream?

Not much... Earplugs are a good idea as the cars are numbingly loud. A package of any good drugstore foam throw away earplugs will work... Just remember to put them in before you put your headsock on.

Enjoy Carls book and get relatively narrow racing shoes that maximize pedal feel and you should be fine. Driving Impressions has some inexpensive gloves that I'm partial to. Driving Impressions Link Delta 1 or 2's are perfectly fine. No padding in the palm but I've never had the blistering issue. I see Delta 3's are on sale with padding so if you can stand the color pattern go for it. Probably can't go wrong with Black unless they all have that white palm that's guaranteed to look like hell after two or three uses.

Once the hook is set you'll want your own helmet, drivers suit and seat insert. There are a few Skippy mechanics who make custom foam seat inserts for about a hundred dollar tip and its the best investment you'll ever make. Anchoring your seat in the car is very important as you progress. Not such a big deal at your 3 day but as you progress it makes a big difference that you can't appreciate until you experience it. The seat insert is, in my book, the most important thing to have after your shoes, gloves and helmet.

I see Ron has mentioned a HANS device and I'll amend my comments to say if you get your own helmet... Definitely get a HANS. Most of us use them now and it's all just smart safety and peace of mind.

Hope for decent weather but a little rain is even better as it gives you a more advanced car control challenge.

The only other thing that might help is a good nights sleep the night before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Trigger pulled. All signed up for Sebring 3/27-29. Had a nice chat with Kelly. I'll be looking forward to meeting her at some point.

Going Faster should arrive tomorrow.

Now to get some appropriate shoes & gloves...

What am I forgetting?

Ken