View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: To Sportsman or Not To Sportsman

Todd:
If you decide that:
1. There will be no Sportsman trophy [nor Sportsman points table, just one overall points table], e.g., no incentive to stay in Sportsman;
2. The current points scale system is fair;
3. As per Randy, a variable champ/sportsman ranking system per race week-end is not really workable; you’d need something automated like the chess computer rating system to make it work. And even then, from the customer perspective, I think lots of people would have a problem being relegated or promoted back and forth one week-end to the next. You’d need to hire a bruised ego massage person and a whiplash therapist—not in the budget, Todd.
4. The methodology to promote someone to Championship must be easy to understand and must be perceived as fair and consistent

Then it just a matter of coming up with concepts.

I throw up for consideration the simplest one I can think of:

Take your last 6 [six] races going back 2 years and throw away your two worst results. If your average number points in your best four races is 27 or above, you have to move to championship.

You can fiddle a bit with the criteria [# of races, # of throw-aways, # of average points, etc]. But, check it out, it works.

This rule is only to force people to move to Championship from Sportsman.
Naturally, as before, at SBRS’s discretion any driver [say an Alex Rossi] could go to championship immediately.