Thread: Girlie Men
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Girlie Men

Ok everybody, lighten up. Having been here since the beginnig, I have to be bewildered that customers think we actively try to supply unequal cars and assign the best to our favorites. Can you imagine the logistics of trying to do this in an organization as complicated as ours? Even if we wanted to?

C'mon. We could save plenty by eliminating the testers and justifying equality by having a random car draw every session.Plusses and minuses over the couse of a season would balance out. At top levels of the sport some excellent drivers compete in cars down 300+ horsepower. They drive to their limit.

The crew and the testers try as hard as possible to deliver a field of cars as equally matched as possible. Are they absolutely equal Friday through Sunday? Too many variables to say. Do they all have brakes and gears? unless they failed on the previous cool off lap,and the driver didn't tell us,we assume they are raceable for the next driver.

I understand that the competition is close, but when the test drivers can put the cars within a couple tenths of a second of each other, it seems to me that drivers should look within themselves for lap time and give up the crutch of thinking that the the car or outside forces are the problem.

Especially with the new system of separating drivers by speed potential, it would seem even more important for a driver to define their success by personal improvement of their skills and speed rather than finishing position or points scored.

Just my thoughts

Carl