Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #3 of 8: SAFETY FEATURES
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #3 of 8: SAFETY FEATURES

Thanks for doing this, Gerardo - here is my 2 cents

1. A new seat design is planned. For those that use a custom seat insert, are you happy with 2-part foam, or would you be willing to pay more for a professionally made "bead" seat? Any other seat insert or seat related questions or suggestions?

I would be willing to pay extra for a safer seat, assuming logistics, etc associated with it are not onerous (i.e for travel) or for the crew (changeovers, storage). Also, "what if" someone has a wreck....we have the challenge of "backup" custom seats? Am up for it....

2. A new helmet halo is planned. Do you have comments on its design?

I tried on the Panoz car with the horse-collar at Watkins Glen - assuming we get it to where it "fits" everyone (i.e. it rode hard on top of my shoulders). I definitely think it adds good safety effects - this needs to be designed as a highly abused part - i.e. we'll pop it out to get out of the car, sit on it getting in - hopefully we can tether it to the car and have an easy latching mechanism.

3. Seat belts will be mounted for better HANS fitting. It may be challenging to design a seat belt system that does not require a mechanic to buckle as modern formula cars do. Do you prefer to buckle your own belts? Do you prefer to have a mechanic buckle you in? Do you have any other comments on the seat belt design?

I prefer to buckle my own; however, the way I fit today with my shoulder width, I need someone to reach over and hand me the shoulder belts in the R/T. In the Panoz prototype, I could do it all by myself, in the car, horsecollar and all. I think the biggest issue with the belts, et al is 1) the HANS compliance/fit and 2) having some space for your helmet if you have to sit allll the way back in the cockpit..

4. Any other safety features we should discuss?

Wheel tethers is interesting - almost got nailed by a flying half-shaft (with wheel attached) at West Bend this year.

"Extra Answer for Question you didn't ask"

To the various points about Carbon Tub vs Tube Frame - I know this has been an "acquisition cost" oriented discussion in the past. From what I've read (and seen/done, in aerospace), the carbon tub is more integral - tends to resist damage assuming the crash structures can be easily/cheaply replaced. Also, "penetration" is avoided. However, catastrophic damage is, well, catastrophic ("sacrificial"). Tubes might be cheaper to buy, and can be as strong as a brick s_it house, but they bend easy and are expensive to repair (more about getting them trued up than just "fixed" I'd imagine). Assuming similar safety levels, the carbon vs tube argument needs to be a lifecycle cost comparison, not an acquisition one.