View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: 2014 Summer Series Formula Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
I believe I drove the longest ever lap of Putnam Park in the May 2002 very, very wet Sunday. I'd waited for those conditions to start pushing the entry speed and went off on the way in to 8. Having seen in previous races how badly bogged down people were in the lake on the outside, I kept my foot in it and marched up the hill. Encouraged by some aircraft-handler style hand gestures from the instructors, I rejoined at turn 4 and repeated the back half of the course.
Rossfeld,
I think I was working at Putnam for Skip at that same weekend! I can remember rooster tails coming from both rear tires of a car in that lake outside Turn 8. Maybe it was you?! The water must have been 25 to 30 feet tall! From the control tower, it was a sight to see.

Sometime during that era, I was instructing Computer Car at Sebring when everything came to a standstill during a massive storm. I asked Nick Nick if I could do a lap in the Computer Car to see how it looked. He chuckled and said, "Sure!" Out I went. The rain and flooding was so bad, the best I could do was a single out-and-in lap in just over five minutes! I'll never forget how soaked I was, and how hitting the puddles caused temporary blindness.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use