View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

This could be a sweet deal for someone who would like a HANS for a Skippy open wheel car at a bargain price.
I have a nine year old HANS I had re-certified a couple of years ago. I've since added a sliding tether and it continues to serve me well.

Here's what's posted on the HANS web site about recertification.

SFI Recertification Program
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE.
MOST DEVICES REQUIRE NEW TETHERS TO BE RECERTIFIED.
IF YOU DO NOT PURCHASE TETHERS AND YOU REQUIRE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED FOR SAME.
Starting Jan. 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraints must be recertified every five years to meet SFI rules.

Competitors who have a HANS Device purchased in 2007 or earlier must have their device recertified. Devices passing the inspection will receive a new SFI 38.1 conformance sticker marked with the inspection date. HANS Performance Products will certify the HANS Device for $15 plus return shipping. (You will be given an estimate of shipping at checkout, but we will charge you the actual UPS rate).

It is rare for a device to fail the recertification inspection.
We regularly see devices that need replacement rubber on the legs or have tethers that are more than five years old and therefore need to be replaced.
If the friction rubber or tethers must be replaced, customers will charged for these items at the standard price. (Tether prices: $20 to $100. Friction rubber: $75.)

What should I do?

We have established several factory certified locations for this service.
To send your device to Atlanta, GA, place your order by clicking "Add to Shopping Cart" below.
If your tethers are dated 2007 or earlier, you must add either a Tether Kit or Tether Upgrade Kit to your order.
At checkout, you will receive an Order Confirmation Number.
Put the Order Confirmation Number and your device in a box. You are responsible for shipping to HANS Performance Products, 5096 Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30341.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
An older model HANS just went up for sale on ebay. All carbon fiber, 30 degree, and needs recertification. It's $100 with over 6 days to go on the auction.