Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Hello,
After owning a Corvette C6 Z06 for a while and attending the Petit Le Mans for several years with my Corvette club, I decided it was time to stop watching and start doing. I joined NASA and SCCA and started HDPE and PDX driving. I started with my Z06 and realized I was not learning much about driving except how to go fast on the straights. After my BMW got rearended I bought an 07 Mazda RX8 which has become my track car and daily driver. I run in autocross with the SCCA also, great Auto-cross car. I upgraded the brakes with Performance slotted rotors and Carbo-Tech XP 15 for track use, I also bought some after market wheels and use Falkin Azenis tires... great tire for the money.
I got a great deal at the Skip Barber 3 day racing school during this years Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta if I signed up for the October 22-24 class. My work is flexible and I have plenty of vacation time this year... so here I am at 68 signed up to learn to drive a spirited little Skip Barbar Formula 2000 machine. Very excited about it and looking at some of the U-Tube videos there will be some transition learning from a car to a formula open wheel racer...but I hear the school is awesome and the instructors are world class, so I should be fine, afterall I know the track and the raceline... all I have to do is put the car there, fast!
I work for the FAA and have been in aviation since I got out of high school in 1965. I was a crew chief in Vietnam on a helicopter gunship and the thrill of speed has never left me. I am in great shape at 68 running 3 or 4 10k races a year and on my birthday 2 days after the Skip Barber school I will running my first 10 miler in Atlanta!
I grew up in Maine and my first love as a young boy was boats. I built several hydroplane boats and raced them every chance I got, I even built a soap box for the national soap box derby in Akron, Ohio. Loved every minute of trying to get that coaster to go faster, and learning a lot on the way... especially how much fun competing can be.