Thread: Skippy Prototype Car ('05-'07): New Skippy Car Components Survey #1 of 8: WINGS
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: New Skippy Car Components Survey #1 of 8: WINGS

here is my 2 cents.....

1. Does the new car need wings for a 3-Day School?

No - first, keeps costs low. Second, eliminates any variables due to speed-related downforce, focuses learning on pure mechanical grip. Third, gives students something to aspire to...Last, to point 1, eliminates the most-often broken part.

2. Does the new car need wings for Advance Activities (Lapping, ADV 2-Day)

I would suggest a fixed-spec for the regional series - with wings. However, I would suggest that wings are used for TUNING handling, and/or to IMPROVE handling. I am sure everyone knows that downforce produced is purely a product of the native aerodynamics of the wing(s), and that downforce produced by a "typical" wing increases exponentially with increased speed - recall that air is a "liquid that acts more viscous with speed". However, wings produce drag, which limits speed...so it's a balance. Also, more downforce creates force on the tires - good for traction, bad for tire wear. Last, with a lot of downforce, the sensitivity of the balance of a car is highlighted...meaning setup gets trickier.

3. Does the new car need wings for the Regional Race Series? Yes, same comments as above.

4. Does the new car need wings for the MASTERS National Championship? Sure - would suggest that Masters and "regular" Nationals have the same spec.

5. Does the new car need wings for the regular Skip Barber National Championship?

This is a good question - more about the identity of the Series. Is this a SPEC series, where all cars are equal and it's all about talent? Or is this a DEVELOPMENT series, where talent matters but it's also up to the drivers to setup their cars to their tastes eg tight, loose, high downforce, low downforce. I think the former (SPEC) is aligned with the SBRS brand, and the cost (in mechanics time) to do "setup" will simply add more cost - and someone who knows how much 14 year old hot shoes can dial in complex physics can comment.

6. For each of the above activities, if "Yes", what level of downforce is appropriate in general terms, such as Light, Medium, Heavy downforce?

Make it track dependent (and/or conditions, eg wet, cold, etc) as part of the car "equalization" process.

7. Should the wing angles be adjustable by customer request at any of the above activities? If so, which series should be adjustable?

See comments above about Nationals.

8. Any other comments?

Tom Roberts is right - SBRS needs a COOL car to attract people who base their decisions on superficial looks. However, a few of us do this because we get to try out, and get better (faster) at some more aggressive technology (eg sequential boxes, wings, slicks, open wheels, etc) - call us the Walter Mitty crowd. There ARE some out there that are really in this to win trophies or launch careers. I think that with a new platform (car), SBRS can meet ALL of these needs AND reduce cost/complexity through some clever design and execution...

GREAT IDEA FOR A THREAD, GUYS. QUESTION - IS ANYONE MAKING THE DECISIONS AT SBRS GOING TO READ THIS?