Thread: No Driver Ed.
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: No Driver Ed.

Apparently not the first instance of this happening.
Another complication: A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that some Lexus drivers with stuck accelerators tried to turn off the car with the engine control button but didn't know the button must be held for three seconds.

Having three passengers who were probably, with best intentions, shouting what to do can definitely have a role in the drivers decision making ability. If someone asked did you try A,B & C after the driver already did, he may try it again in response to their question instead of going on to X,Y &Z. I still find it hard to believe that it is the result of a floor mat but that's Toyota's story and their sticking to it. A much cheaper option than searching for the ghost in the machine.
My Dad had a 64 Buick that used to have the linkage hang up and you would have to pull the gas pedal off the floor either by hand or by foot. I've had a snapple bottle roll under my brake pedal and the first thing I did was look down kick the bottle out of the way and re-apply brake. If it was the floor mat I find it hard to believe the guy didn't look down to see if something was interfering with the inputs.
Where are the CSI guys to dig into the CPU on this car and discover if it was a programming glitch?