View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

What a bunch of democrats!

I guess after you mandate the HANS you will push to require polarized lenses on our visors to protect our corneas.. and how about requiring sweaters in the winter so we don't catch a cold?!

No, don't get me wrong. I am a huge advocate of personal safety. After all, I wear a Hutchins device (the lesser known competitor to the HANS). And, any one who knows me knows that I am safety conscious.

But, it should be a personal choice. Lime Rock Racer... you mention traffic lights. Obviously these are for public safety. A HANS only protects the individual (and their family). Are we concerned about the family? Then we should require life and disability insurance so the family is protected in case of a severe shunt!

I hate when governing bodies impose rules on me for my own good. I have put a motorcycle down at speed and cracked my helmet in half.... I still rail against mandatory helmet laws. I want personal choice and freedom.

NASCAR and others mandated HANS after DE died. Why? Most likely because of the negative publicity that came along with it.

On my boat, I have no problem with the govt requiring life jackets on kids. Until a certain age... kids need to be protected from themselves and the possibility of having an idiot for a parent. But, aside from Andretti and Edwards (hee hee) we are all adults here.

I think anyone who doesn't wear the proper gear... a well fitting helmet, neck support, proper Nomex, etc is truly asking for trouble. But, please... let it be my decision.