View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: WatertownNewbie at Laguna Seca

Michael,
You were the first to respond to my very first post on the TJR site, so it is appropriate for you to be the first to reply to this thread. Thanks for your comments, and I am glad that you enjoyed the write up. I will definitely hang onto it. Many years ago I started playing in chess tournaments. At my first one, somebody told me to keep my scoresheets (the moves of the games) and then replay them in six months. If I had any doubts about whether I was making progress, that would confirm it. And it did. I will do the same with the write up and also with the DVDs of my 2-Day school and my first race.

As for consistency, I agree 100%. When my DVD from the race weekend arrived, I watched it by myself and then again with my wife. She commented something along the lines of "Well, your crash wasn't as scary to watch as I thought it might be." (By the way, that was far down the list of what I expected her to say.) She also noticed that (a) people left the corners faster than I did (note to self -- work on exit speed) and (b) the quicker I went the less track that I used (another note to self -- use those curbs and hit the apexes). For me, the video is like the scoresheet from the chess games. I learned a ton at the race weekend, and I learned more by seeing how I did (as opposed to how I thought I was doing).

Chris,
We met only briefly in October at the Great Flood (umm -- practice day), and I appreciate your comments too. Laguna Seca is a fabulous facility, and I recommend it to anyone on the East Coast. The airfare to SFO or MRY is not as much as flying to many other locations. What a great track to drive! I hope to return many more times. (And as for future stars, a 14-year old kid named Alexander Rossi broke the Skippy car track record formerly held by Mark Hamilton Peters.) With regard to the Eastern Series, my plans are to do the three July race weekends (Road America, LRP, and Tremblant) as well as all of the lapping and practice days that I can manage.

Pat,
I have tried to take a thoughful approach to this sport, although there is little time for analysis on the track. The reading that I had done (and questions I posed on this site) were very helpful, however, when I received feedback from instructors. I just need to translate those lessons and information into performance.

And as for that Turn 3 fiasco ... the DVD reveals a classic case of early entry. I would say early apex, but I never got near enough to the apex to dub it that. The attempt at the save was not so bad, as I did keep the car on the track until the Pause, and my hands actually did whip the wheel back around to the right, but by then it was way too late.

My car control clinic is Saturday, Febraury 4, at Laguna Seca. Those instructors will have another crack at me.