Thread: Racing Workout
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Racing Workout

the cornering weight issue is interesting. i wish you to consider the following. a few years ago we noticed that some heavier guys (hilmer was one of those) were much quicker at full course road america than expected in the masters series. a review of data showed (i'm not sure this was charlie, it might have been brian sheperd, it might have been someone else, don't remember) showed that midcorner speed in turn one and turn 7 were faster than the other historically faster drivers. with the springs used, the resting ride height was lower. Divi, i recall vividly declared that the ride height reduction was allowing those guys to go thru the turns faster than the lighter guys, with the more compessible springs. I never believed it, but it made me wonder. Clearly, less wieght is better, but at higher speed corners it seemed conceivable that one might actually carry more speed thru the corner with more traction due to ground effect of lower ride height and a higher speed if the ride height were the actual answer. I find it hard to believe, but guys were faster and questions were being asked.