View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Re: New Jersey set to host second US GP (?)

True, Bernie is an uber big dog, but never underestimate the tough guys on their home toif.
Sid, mind, was from Joisey I'm very sad Sid will miss this, he'd be all over it.

I was wondering who Anthony DeFino was...

From 1998 - The Bad Old Days (hope link works for all, may have a subscription block, let me know, will copy)
Big Tony...he was very well liked in his day. "Mr. DeFino, who after 24 years in office decided not to run for re-election in 1995, died in December 1996, three weeks after suffering a heart attack. A lifelong resident of West New York, Mr. DeFino was a mammoth-sized man, who often salted his public remarks with phrases in Italian that reflected the heritage he shared with so many of the immigrants that populated the town throughout its early history."

No doubt he would also have embraced the GP

“He was the biggest kid on the block,” said Vega, “and as soon as he walked in, everybody knew they were going to have a good time.” He added that DeFino is also remembered as a great mayor.

In addition to taking care of the town’s senior citizens, said Vega, DeFino also made sure the kids of West New York had the chance to learn in school and to enjoy recreation. “He was loved by the seniors and every kid in town, and through the kids, the parents,” said Vega.

New Jersey State League of Municipalities Elected Officials Hall of Fame