View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: Changing SBRS Groups

I would say go back to the old system. I have never raced with it, but having heard so much about it, there are many more 'up's' than 'down's'.
I think for the Sportsman drivers, they are still learning and the only way to learn, is to drive with the more experienced drivers. This way, they can learn more about the race craft, as well as the basic driving skills. The Sportsman drivers will find themselves pushing themselves to improve, so they can compete with the more experienced guys, thus, competing for podium positions (this is the only reason to have a Sportsman, to have more people go home with trophies). There is no reason for them to stay in the Sportsman category if they are just driving away from the field; rather have a few people of all speeds in the race, so a battle can be found anywhere in the field. Each weekend you can be racing with new people, and by the end of the season, you know how quick everybody is, so you can compare yourself to the best. Each race, you can learn new things from new drivers. Maybe there is a guy you haven't raced with yet, but want to, so you can see how they work the draft to find himself in the front by the end. Or a guy who can brake unbelievably late, but once you get behind him, you find that he brakes so late that he carry's way too much speed in, then loses it all in the exit. So instead of watching the more experienced guys, and trying to learn from it, do it on track. Like a free lead-follow...
With the old system, there can be big groups; instead of having 5 groups of 12 cars; there could be 3 groups of 20. This would make for much better/exciting racing for both the drivers and the spectators.