Thread: Racing Workout
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Re: Racing Workout

Nice explanation on the cornering issue... and I like you're creative weight training solution which, if it catches on would answer the question... "Who among us are Skip Barber people?" when at the gym.

I'm picturing work out classes filled with people holding 10 pound bar bell plates in stiff armed Nuvolari driving position doing opposite lock exercises in unison. Then right foot toe points with five pounders strapped to their foot and finally a series of quick brake stomps and nuanced lifts and touches back and forth between brake and gas to fine tune those muscles. There could be a fit TV video in this.
Kidding of course but nothing bad about conditioning those muscles. Good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrgtm View Post
oh and as far as a racing workout: one thing I've started doing that seems to make a difference is to take a 10 or 20 lb plate (what you would put a benchpress bar) and hold it just like a steering wheel. Basically steer all the way to the rack stops on the left and then right, and do it as fast as possible. People in the gym give me weird looks but I swear it has helped me recover from some slides I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't been doing this. I swear this even gives me a cardio workout if you do it at the end of your lifting routine.

Another variation is to do it with a 10 lb dumb bell in each hand... helps with stabilizing a little more.