View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: Mechanics Fund-ACT NOW

I'd like to take Dom's discussion of the mechanics fund one more step.

It was a shock to me to learn at the first Nationals weekend that no pitch was made for contributions. Upon asking, I was told that there would be no solicitations at Nationals races, as drivers were already paying more.

(There was, however, an impromptu solicitation at VIR due to serial melees during a very rainy weekend.)

Yes, it is a step up in cost to run the Nationals, just as it is a huge step up to run Star Pro Mazda, Champ Car Atlantic, or even the more affordable IMSA Lites. However, most drivers moving on to the Nationals are on a track to become professional racers, and have some understanding that this is not an inexpensive career path.

Supporting the mechanics fund should be viewed as part of the budget for pursuing a career in racing!

Mechanics are on a different career track from drivers, but it is a parallel track that keeps them connected to drivers. The mechanics you worked with in Skippy regionals are not people you leave behind as you move on. They are your professional colleagues for the full length of your racing career.

Example: The first time Duncan went off track while testing the West Race car at Buttonwillow last spring, within seconds, there was someone at his side on a motor scooter. A former Skippy mechanic working for ANOTHER TEAM recognized him and was the very first person on the scene, with "Hey Duncan! You OK?"

At every Atlantic race this year we saw and schmoozed with former Skippy mechanics, and even one from go-karting days.

These guys move on with you, might be part of your future crews or even working for a team you'd give your eye-teeth to race for.

They know you, they remember you, they take care of you, and you should take care of them. They are your partners for a long time!

Having said that, I will put my money where my mouth is. I will contribute to the Western series mechanics fund in the winter and the Midwester series fund in the summer for as long as Duncan is racing.

Duncan applied to 10 colleges, only one turned him down, and one offered a merit scholarship. But he chose Skip Barber for his college
So instead of contributing for years to a college (as parents are asked to do), we will support the mechanics fund.

Although Duncan is moving on to other racing, some young mechanic just starting the Skippy training program might be working with him before long. So it behooves HIM to continue to contribute, as well--like a portion of sponsorship money!

OK, mama's off her soapbox. Just get the right attitude, do the right thing.