Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums

Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements & Support (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Updated Forum Look / Style (http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10957)

sydude 10-14-2013 08:30 PM

Updated Forum Look / Style

It was time for a refresh. What do you think of it? Please let me know by taking the poll, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions definitely tell us what you think by also replying to the thread.

--
CHANGE LOG
  • 1.3 Reset the style system, so you may have to 'reselect' your preferred style again.
  • 1.2 Added a new 'Light Blue' style in 1100 pixel wide format as default style. The old 'Skippy Forums Blue View' is still available for you to choose from.
  • 1.1 Added an additional and easier to find 'Style Chooser' on top right corner of every screen (originally it was only in the bottom left corner of each page).
  • 1.0 Added a new 'Narrow Width' 1000 pixel version of the 'Light Blue' style as per popular request. The wider version is still the default style, so if you want to try/use the new narrow version just select it using the style chooser in the top right corner.

Tireman 10-14-2013 08:59 PM

Re: Updated Forum Look / Style

Not too bad Sy, but I'm a bit negatively jaded since Yahoo recently made my email experience/screen view/tools/etc. pretty awful. Once I get comfortable on a website, or with certain functions, I get kind of lazy and like to keep it that way.

We're trying to get folks back to Skippyforums. Pat made a pitch at a Road America drivers meeting, hoping to entice the newer folks. We're not Facebook, but we don't need to be. This site has a definite purpose and a lot to offer.

Viz

sydude 10-15-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tireman (Post 50537)
Not too bad Sy, but I'm a bit negatively jaded since Yahoo recently made my email experience/screen view/tools/etc. pretty awful. Once I get comfortable on a website, or with certain functions, I get kind of lazy and like to keep it that way.

We're trying to get folks back to Skippyforums. Pat made a pitch at a Road America drivers meeting, hoping to entice the newer folks. We're not Facebook, but we don't need to be. This site has a definite purpose and a lot to offer.

Viz

Thanks, Viz. I really appreciate it. Can you tell me a bit more about what you don't like and/or would prefer to see? Or do you just prefer no changes at all? Also, I just want to point out that we made zero changes to how the site works functionally, we only changed fonts, colors and made it a bit wider. Nothing has moved or works differently.

The idea of the refresh was to make the site look a bit more modern, a bit wider and mostly softer and readable. Any thoughts about how we did with those specifically would be great.

cdh 10-15-2013 05:50 PM

It's OK, I was fine with the old colors as I think they differentiated cells and tables much more clearly - but what I really dislike is the wider format - totally necessary and too wide for my screen with my sidebar open... my 2 pesos

Tireman 10-16-2013 08:32 PM

Actually Sy, it's ok with me, other than the wide format Doug mentioned. (Now, tonight, it doesn't seem as wide as 2 days ago ??) I "settled in" a bit more after taking the poll and I can certainly work with the new format.

Viz

Gerardo 10-16-2013 10:01 PM

I'm siding with Doug on his main point. I'm having a hard time accepting the wider format. When its more narrow, I can read the paragraph with my eyes. In wide mode, I must move my head as well, which is a little more work. Although we're not talking about running 6 miles on foot, it does take something away from the relaxation of enjoying the forum.

Otherwise, the forum is still very nicely organized and looks great. I like the fonts a lot.

Thank you Sy for spending time to make this fresher and better!

GregS 10-16-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardo (Post 50542)
I'm siding with Doug on his main point. I'm having a hard time accepting the wider format. When its more narrow, I can read the paragraph with my eyes. In wide mode, I must move my head as well, which is a little more work. Although we're not talking about running 6 miles on foot, it does take something away from the relaxation of enjoying the forum.

Otherwise, the forum is still very nicely organized and looks great. I like the fonts a lot.

hilarious :)

good seeing u for 30 seconds this year Gerardo!

Gerardo 10-18-2013 12:45 AM

Greg,

I'm sorry it worked out that way with the schedules! I am certain we will see a lot more of each other next year with the merger. Will you be doing Continental again next year?
:)

GregS 10-18-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardo (Post 50545)
Greg,

I'm sorry it worked out that way with the schedules! I am certain we will see a lot more of each other next year with the merger. Will you be doing Continental again next year?
:)

yes i will
i need to decide which car ill be driving - something that skippy never covered!!

it is great seeing how well matt is doing despite having the handicap of being chris's son (this is a joke i hope you know!!)

sydude 10-21-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdh (Post 50539)
It's OK, I was fine with the old colors as I think they differentiated cells and tables much more clearly - but what I really dislike is the wider format - totally necessary and too wide for my screen with my sidebar open... my 2 pesos

Quote:

Guys, I changed a couple of things a few days ago which should have differentiated cells and tables more. Any better?

I'll do a new style at the old width soon, and you guys can switch back and forth at will to compare. Will let you know when it's ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregS (Post 50543)
hilarious :)

good seeing u for 30 seconds this year Gerardo!

Hi Greg, hope you're well. I was hoping you'd chime in with thoughts, you are THE expert in the field after all!

PFS 10-21-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

I'm having a hard time accepting the wider format. When its more narrow, I can read the paragraph with my eyes. In wide mode, I must move my head as well, which is a little more work.

I kinda like the wider format and updated stuff. It keeps it fresh and it just has a good look on my screen (MacBook Pro 13").

Sounds like Gerardo has a really big screen. I've heard girth is preferable, but I guess not in this situation.

GregS 10-22-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydude (Post 50554)

Hi Greg, hope you're well. I was hoping you'd chime in with thoughts, you are THE expert in the field after all!

im an expert in hosting not UI :P

GEORGE 10-22-2013 06:28 PM

I like the new format Sy.
But I have an answer for Gerardo.
Reading the new Skippy forums "WITHOUT" moving your head....... This will improve your peripheral vision. Phil Hill had his vision path greater than 180 degrees. This new format could be a great help to all of us.
I'll bet that Sy never realized what he hath wrought.

George

sydude 10-27-2013 11:09 AM

FYI, I added a new 'narrow' version of the new forum style for you guys to choose from. You can use the new 'chooser' in the top right corner of the screen to change styles.

sydude 10-27-2013 11:34 AM

Update: I reset the style system, so you may have to 'reselect' your preferred style again.

cdh 10-28-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks for working on this Sy... :wave:
I'll try some new banner ideas

Merlin 11-01-2013 03:25 PM

I like the new look. The layout works on both my 21" desk monitor and my iPhone screen.

dalyduo 11-02-2013 11:21 PM

Something wrong?... Safari doesn't recognize me and asks for a sign in. After sign in it says "Thanks for signing in..." then reverts to a home screen requiring sign in that again doesn't recognize me.

Switched to Firefox and it recognized me

dalyduo 11-03-2013 04:16 PM

The odd behavior has gone away... Thanks if there was work involved.

Thanks Dude for updating and tweaking. Appreciate it. :D