PDA

View Full Version : Car Control Clinic vs. Advanced 2 Day

dotsony
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Trying to decide between them. Any thoughts?

WatertownNewbie
03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
What have you done so far? The 3-day school? Anything else? Do you have experience other than in Skip Barber cars? We can give you better answers when we have some info on your background. (Then you might get showered with replies.)

dalyduo
04-01-2011, 12:30 AM
The advanced 2 day is designed to prepare you to race in the Skip Barber series. You work on car control skills on the autocross in addition to practicing starts and race procedures on the race track. A 2 day advanced course has a lot of track time. A car control clinic is a single day and involves skid pad and autocross work, but it does not include time on track.

The advanced 2 day would be good training if you were planning on running any race series including Skip Barber. The car control clinic improves car control and driving skills, which will make you a better racer but the clinic does not specifically prepare you for racing.

dotsony
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I am considering buying a high-performance RWD car, and would like to be prepared for what may come. I think I am not as interested in the skip barber racing series as I once was. I do anticipate doing track days on a regular basis. I recently did the 3-day school. It was raining pretty heavily, and I spun the MX-5 once and had several close calls. It was a humbling experience. I enjoy going fast around the track, but I am not very comfortable with exploring the limits.

dalyduo
04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
In that case you might enjoy a two-day high performance driving school. The 2-Day HPD is done with BMW M3's, Lotus Evora's, various Porsche's and possibly the Lexus IS-F. You will do many of the same exercises done in a car control clinic but you will do them in these high powered rear wheel drive cars. At the end of the school there is also some time spent doing quick lead follow track laps in which you follow an instructor around the track in a group of 3 or 4 cars at quick but not overwhelming speed. This would prepare you well for your new acquisition... In fact if you took it first, it might influence your purchase. Often people take the course to sample the cars and see which ones they like after having driven them with a sense of purpose.
I am considering buying a high-performance RWD car, and would like to be prepared for what may come. I think I am not as interested in the skip barber racing series as I once was. I do anticipate doing track days on a regular basis. I recently did the 3-day school. It was raining pretty heavily, and I spun the MX-5 once and had several close calls. It was a humbling experience. I enjoy going fast around the track, but I am not very comfortable with exploring the limits.

cdh
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Skip HPDS page (http://www.skipbarber.com/highperformance.asp)