PDA

View Full Version : Monticello Motor Club

LimeRockRacer
09-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Steve Nelson and I were fortunate to be able to spend a day at the illustrious Monticello Motor Club yesterday. Mohawk Hudson Chapter of the SCCA in conjunction with the Patroon BMW club ran an HPDE day on the full course.

The track facility and staff could not have been nicer. Track was fun with lots of elevation, chicane and switch back elements. My only criticism is the track was a bit narrow in spots for real racing. Definitely worth a trip if you ever get the chance.

We ran in a well prepped Spec Miata and were fortunate to be part of the instructional staff. Imagine that. Did not even kill any one or any animals!

I spent half the day touring the track in a Mitsu Lancer Evo and a BMW 3 series variation. The Evo had unbelievable grip and stability with it's AWD drivetrain.

Our own Jason Holehouse carries his racing acumen to another venue for the benefit of those lucky enough to get in for a lap or two.

StevieDe
09-25-2010, 12:20 PM
LRR,

I had the pleasure of getting the cooks tour from Racin Jason a month or so ago.:wave:

I poked my head in between work at Meadowlands ,
a Winwood/ Santana concert @ the Woodstock museum in nearby Bethel ( a whole 'nuther story)
and trip to Glenda's childhood lake retreat in N.E. PA .

Met Jason at the guard station on his way into work.

So with the amplifiers still ringing in my head we caught up over coffee as Jaguar was setting up for a limited gathering. Top notch.

Nice people and nice starting point facility wise.
Handsome landscaping and tactful clubhouse event space.
Clean looking operation that will only get more user friendly...:bowdown:

Race tracks can always stand to lose an obstacle here and gain a little extra pavement there with some curbing thrown it to boot.

A US GP there????? Smoke and mirrors from BE...Optimistic would be gross understatement.:eek:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your instruction duties. Riding right seat is not for everyone. :doh:
Lot's of near death stories out there in the industry.:woot-eek1: Just ask...

See ya at the Finale,
SD

GT-Subject
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
We ran in a well prepped Spec Miata and were fortunate to be part of the instructional staff. Imagine that. Did not even kill any one or any animals!

Oh my god Chris, will you be the next Skippy Customer/Racer/Driver to become a part time SB instructor??????.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdo wn:

Say it ain't so. :eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims:

You know I'm just kidding of course, sounds like you had a great day!! See you at LR.

LimeRockRacer
09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Race tracks can always stand to lose an obstacle here and gain a little extra pavement there with some curbing thrown it to boot.

A US GP there????? Smoke and mirrors from BE...Optimistic would be gross understatement.:eek:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your instruction duties. Riding right seat is not for everyone. :doh:
Lot's of near death stories out there in the industry.:woot-eek1: Just ask...

See ya at the Finale,
SD
Gross understatement is being nice. The track could never handle the speed of those cars and make the race a GP level event without some major re work of a few key corners.
With that said it is a beautiful new and young facility. I think if they can make it beyond their first years from a fiscal stand point they will have the opportunity to grow it into a mature venue that could possibly handle a big pro event.
On the Rt hand seat issue...yes have heard many stories and went in with eyes wide open. I was careful to pick which
cars and students I rode with and was easy to bail if I had any irresponsible or incapable drivers. Steve had one from and eastern block country with an over testosteroned BMW that made him feel like they were fleeing the grips of KGBin a downtown Moscow alley way. :eek:

LimeRockRacer
09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh my god Chris, will you be the next Skippy Customer/Racer/Driver to become a part time SB instructor??????.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdo wn:

Say it ain't so. :eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims::eilims:

You know I'm just kidding of course, sounds like you had a great day!! See you at LR.

Watch it or I will be coming to a Canadian track near you!

cdh
09-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Fantastic Chris, thanks

dalyduo
09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
How would Monticello size up for a Skippy race weekend?

Magical Trevor
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Pat, from my impressions on my one day there two years ago (how many grains of salt are there in a pound?), I think it actually could. The main logistics-related issue everyone has mentioned is the absence of any traditional paddock space; it only has a parking lot and a small paved pad which is completely isolated from pitlane while there are cars on course. Obviously, we don't have nearly as many race cars and associated trailers, etc. as the average SCCA event. I think we could fit all of our usual equipment on the pitlane (~50 cars) and get the haulers and personal vehicles to fit within the grounds. However, given the municipality negotiations that must have been involved in building the place I wouldn't be surprised if the operations there might be limited just as they are at Lime Rock: "No racing". Just speculation though, as they've not (yet) had to argue about it in courts like "we" had to 50 years ago...
I hadn't considered a Skip Barber race weekend there, but I like your thinking!

LimeRockRacer
09-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Aside from logistics, the club is planning to cut off or limit outside groups next year to make the membership a necessity. Not sure that will work for them.

Gerardo
09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I've heard similar rumors about the track going more exclusive to membership. But, we'll have to wait and see. At the end of the day, economics often rules. If they do hit their membership targets, they could probably do whatever they feel benefits the members best.

I was fortunate to drive the full-course in a Star Mazda car last month. A wonderful experience for sure. A nice mix of slow, medium, and fast corners. The elevation changes add even more fun to the mix. A lot of elements were much faster than they looked.

The new pit building near the entrance is beautiful. I hear a larger building is planned for the other pit lane, which will eventually be primary.

LimeRockRacer
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
The building you are referring to is officially the clubhouse. It is nicely done with a concierge desk, bar, class room, offices , retail store, and member spaces. I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating.

They certainly have done a nice job with the grounds as well.

misterknowital
10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
racing school (http://www.racingadventure.com/)Steve Nelson and I were fortunate to be able to spend a day at the illustrious Monticello Motor Club yesterday. Mohawk Hudson Chapter of the SCCA in conjunction with the Patroon BMW club ran an HPDE day on the full course.

The track facility and staff could not have been nicer. Track was fun with lots of elevation, chicane and switch back elements. My only criticism is the track was a bit narrow in spots for real racing. Definitely worth a trip if you ever get the chance.

I spent half the day touring the track in a Mitsu Lancer Evo and a BMW 3 series variation. The Evo had unbelievable grip and stability with it's AWD drivetrain.

Our own Jason Holehouse carries his racing acumen to another venue for the benefit of those lucky enough to get in for a lap or two.

thanks for the reveiw I'm doing this one soon as well.

gojrracing
10-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Steve Nelson and I were fortunate to be able to spend a day at the illustrious Monticello Motor Club yesterday. Mohawk Hudson Chapter of the SCCA in conjunction with the Patroon BMW club ran an HPDE day on the full course.

That is an exciting track. And the course is full of fun. I hope that I am the one of that lucky enough to get for a lap of 2. :D

handfore
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to convey that I've heard a lot about this club from some of my folks and I'm interested to know more about the club and it's members. Hope I'm welcome to do that.

LimeRockRacer
10-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Glad you joined the forum. Welcome. The more people that participate the better the sight for all.