PDA

View Full Version : Montoya out for Bahrain, and possibly out for 5 weeks

sydude
03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Planet-F1.com

'Montoya sidelined for five weeks'

29/03/05

According to unconfirmed reports, Juan Pablo Montoya looks set to miss the next five weeks to five months after damaging his shoulder while playing a game of tennis last weekend.

The McLaren driver slipped during the match, falling and hitting his shoulder. After undergoing tests it was discovered that he’d injured his scapula, which is vital for the movement of the shoulder.

The injury has a standard convalescence time of five weeks minimum and during the first three the arm is completely immobilized.

However, should the injury fail to heal properly, Montoya may have to undergo surgery, which would keep him sidelined for at least five months.

McLaren will announce on Thursday whether Montoya will be able to race in Bahrain, but according to the Spanish media, Montoya has returned to Miami, where his parents and wife Connie live, and will be replaced by McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa for the Bahrain GP.

The Spaniard has been given the seat ahead of fellow tester Alex Wurz as the Austrian is too tall to fit into the new MP4-20.

“I have not received any official confirmation,” de la Rosa said on Tuesday morning, adding that the team had only told him to “be prepared” to race in Bahrain.

However, whether de la Rosa will also replace Montoya in the San Marino and Spanish grands prix is uncertain as McLaren intend modifying the MP4-20’s cockpit to accommodate Wurz should de la Rosa fail to produce the goods.

sydude
03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
McLaren confirm he's out for Bahrain for sure, but they're not saying when he'll be back. Pedro De La Rosa is in for him for now.

In regards to the Fantasy F1 picks, please note that if you pick Montoya, and De La Rosa gets points, you don't get any. You probably can't choose De La Rosa at all. So make sure you don't use Montoya this week. Even though I'm competing against you, I'm still willing to help you out... Isn't that so sporting of me?

:givesaf:

kwlorentzen
03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
McLaren confirm he's out for Bahrain for sure, but they're not saying when he'll be back. Pedro De La Rosa is in for him for now.

In regards to the Fantasy F1 picks, please note that if you pick Montoya, and De La Rosa gets points, you don't get any. You probably can't choose De La Rosa at all. So make sure you don't use Montoya this week. Even though I'm competing against you, I'm still willing to help you out... Isn't that so sporting of me?

:givesaf:

Sy, your support is even better than a jock strap:rotflmao:

sydude
03-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Sy, your support is even better than a jock strap:rotflmao: :stfu:

:p:

macdod
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Just for the record, I think Montoya really did the damage to his shoulder doing motocross. They covered his ass in the RACER article by saying he fell on his arse.:bsflag:

I leave it to the biker's Hammer, Murphy, David G. as to how many broken shoulders verses broken butts they've seen on dirt tracks.

sydude
03-31-2005, 03:25 PM
The funny thing is that he injured it while playing against his personal trainer - "McLaren spokeswoman Ellen Kolby revealed the Colombian picked up the knock on Saturday against trainer Gerry Convey" :doh:

McLaren must be just thrilled this year.

sydude
03-31-2005, 05:38 PM
MacDod, you must have known something... this just came in from crash.net:

Montoya injury linked to Harley fall.
Thu 31 Mar, 8:24 PM

Latest speculation in the Formula One pitlane is that Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya's absence from the McLaren cockpit in this weekend's Bahrain GP has nothing to do with the official line of a tennis accident.

According to paddock insiders, passing on unsubstantiated rumours, Montoya did not in fact injure himself in that highly dangerous game, tennis; rather he fell off his Harley Davison motorbike.

Riding a motorbike is widely acknowledged as being a more dangerous game than tennis and it's certainly more understandable that a racing driver could put themselves out of action for a race weekend from an incident involving a powerful bike rather than one involving a racket and ball.

Nothing has been confirmed at present, but there's sure to be more to come...

macdod
03-31-2005, 08:31 PM
No kidding.
I honestly didn't think it was on his Harley. But if he rides it like he did that motocross bike, I'm not surprised.

Reminds me of Michael Jordan in a way - plays great B-ball player but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball bat in his hand.